Click here for MHA's daily COVID-19 hospital-specific dashboard update.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued an emergency use authorization (EUA) determination for the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine on Dec. 11 and for the Moderna vaccine on Dec. 18. As required by the EUA, Pfizer has made public fact sheets for providers and patients. The provider fact sheet includes information on dosing, storage and handling, dosing preparation, and contraindications and adverse reactions. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends the vaccine’s use for patients age 16 and older.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently issued recommendations for prioritization of distribution and administration of COVID-19 vaccines. The CDC recommendations are based on input from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). The CDC also released a communications toolkit for medical centers, clinics and clinicians. For additional details to inform communication with healthcare staff, see the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (APIC) Considerations for COVID-19 Vaccination of Healthcare Personnel and Long-Term Care Facility Residents. Also see APIC’s interim recommendation on the use of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine in persons 16 or older in a CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
On Dec. 14, the CDC held a Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) Call, “What Every Clinician Should Know about COVID-19 Vaccine Safety.” The call focused on how clinicians can educate their patients on what to expect after COVID-19 vaccination and how they can play an important role in monitoring the safety of COVID-19 vaccines. A recording of the call is posted here and the slide deck is here.
Here are other resources that may be helpful:
- MSDH: COVID-19 Vaccination Provider Resources and Enrollment
- MSDH: Reporting Adverse Events After COVID-19 Vaccination and Recommendations for Severe Allergic Reactions/Anaphylaxis
- CMS: Toolkit for Health Care Providers
- CMS: FAQs on Medicare Fee-for-Service Billing
- CMS: CPT/HCPCS billing codes for administration of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines
- CDC: Standing Orders Template and Pre-Vaccination Screening Tool for Pfizer Vaccine
- CDC: Pre-Vaccination Checklist for COVID-19 Vaccines
MHA will continue to provide updates on vaccine distribution as they become available. Members with questions may contact Joyce Pearson at email@example.com.